Friday 28 October 2011

Pumpkin

The other day, the tots and I made Jack-o-laterns. I cut off the tops and the tots dug out the innards. Then they painted their pumpkins and I cut faces into them, much to their delight. They were very pleased and proud of their pumpkins and were excited to show their respective parents.

Two days ago, Cash's dog ate his pumpkin.  His parents were afraid to tell him and were hoping he wouldn't bring it up.

Today, we are on a walk around the townhouse complex in which I live, and we come across some Jack-o-lanterns. The tots are very excited to see them, especially Cash.

Cash - "Pumpkins! Pumpkins! Auntie, where is my pumpkin?"
Me, deep breath, brace for impact - "Well, Cash...Your dog ate your pumpkin." Fake smile.

Beat.

Cash bursts into laughter.
Cash - "My dog ate my pumpkin?!" More laughter.
Cash - "Legend, my dog ate my pumpkin!" More laughter. "Where is Legend's pumpkin?"

Me - "Legend's pumpkin is at his house. The dog didn't eat his pumpkin. You are going to get a new pumpkin   tomorrow."
Cash - "Get a new pumpkin? Yay."

Me - "Yes, and you can paint it and put a face in it with mommy and daddy."
Cash - "Okay, Auntie."

We walk for a little while in quiet. That went well, I think.

Cash suddenly bursts into laughter again. "The dog chewed my pumpkin!"

Best reaction ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment