Wednesday 25 January 2012

Batman's Fan Club

We are at play group and there is a boy there dressed full-out as Batman, cape and mask included. The boy is tumbling, whooshing, and is entirely in the super-hero zone. It is kind of awesome.

Legend is immediately captivated by the boy. He follows Batman around the gym, copying some of the boy's tumbling moves but ultimately trying to get a turn with that mask.

He finally half-corners the Batman boy. He brings his little hand up with index and middle finger extended, like one of the Three Stooges, and points at the boy's face.

Legend - "Eyes. Eyes. Legend's turn hat?"
The boy spins and whooshes away, and Legend finally gives up his quest.

Meanwhile...

Kayla has my hand firmly; she is feeling shy today.  She is leading me over to the play house but she stops dead suddenly, and tenses. I can see the Batman boy inside the play house.

Me - "Kayla, are you scared of the Batman boy?"
Kayla nods and buries her head in my legs.
Me - "He's just a little boy behind that mask. Nothing to be afraid of."
Kayla tries to pull me away from the play house - "No."

I pick her up.
Me - "He's just a little boy. Here, I will show you."
We approach the Batman boy.
Me - "Excuse me Batman. This little girl is scared of you because she can't see your face. Would you mind lifting your mask for a moment so she can see you are a boy under there?"
The boy politely obliges, but Kayla makes no reaction.
Me - "Thank you!" And Batman is off saving lives or terrorizing villains or whatever he does.

Kayla kisses me on the cheek.
Me - "Are you afraid of Batman now?"
Kayla - "I love that Batman boy."

She spent the rest of play group toddling after her new hero.

And so there were two Batman boy fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment