Thursday 1 December 2011

What is a Toy?

The boys are being a little too loud and a little too rambunctious at the lunch table.  They are rolling their cups back and forth to each other and yelling about it.

Me, my voice hushed to get their attention - "Legend and Cash, we are quiet at the table please. Stop playing with your cups; they are not toys."
They stop.

Cash - "Cups are not toys?"
Me - "No, your cups are for drinking, not playing. They are not toys." I deliberately place the cups upright on the table.
Cash - "Oh. Cups are not toys. Hm."

He thinks for a moment, while Legend has gone back to munching on his lunch.

Cash - "Is sandwich a toy? I play with sandwich."  He nods, like he has figured it out.
Me - "No, sandwich is not a toy. You eat your lunch properly please."
Cash - "Sandwich is not a toy?"
Me - "No. Eat up please."

He considers my request.

Then he reaches over and grabs Legend's sandwich triumphantly.
"Legend's sandwich is a toy!"

I am certain his look of triumph is because he knows he has done well to push my buttons.  He is a smart (and tricky) cookie.

No comments:

Post a Comment