Friday 2 December 2011

What Hurts?

Legend's schedule is completely off today because he woke up horribly early. I usually run a very scheduled home; it just makes life with tots run as smoothly as possible when everyone knows what to expect and when to expect it.  We have small routines built into everything, like going potty before we leave the house every day, or putting the sippy cup back in the exact same spot after every use. We also have an over-arching schedule of meal and nap times. It works... most of the time. Even good plans fail sometimes.

Legend is playing happily in the afternoon, rolling cars down the hallway, and playing a tag game with Cash, when suddenly he plops down on the floor and just starts to bawl.

I rush to him.
Me - "Oh Legend! Are you okay, honey?"
Legend pauses long enough to inhale and look pitifully into my eyes, before letting out another bawl.
I rock him and squeeze him.
Me - "Legend, what is wrong, my sweet boy?"
He looks up at me, tears streaming down his face. "I hurt."
Me - "You hurt? Oh no! What hurts? Where?"
Legend just collapses into me and cries.

I start worriedly checking him over, and I feel his forehead for a fever.
Then it dawns on me.
I pull him away from me so I can look into his eyes.
"Legend, are you hungry?"
He pauses his wail for a moment, considering.
Legend nods - "Uh hun. hungy."

He eats an apple and is the picture of happiness for the rest of the day.


Wow. He could have just asked for an apple...

No comments:

Post a Comment