Wednesday 28 September 2011

Help Legend

We are at a park that has a platform high up and apart from the other platforms, with a big, twisty, yellow slide. It is meant for older kids that are able to climb up there. Cash insists he wants to go on that slide; he is a slide connoisseur.

I help Cash on top of the platform. Legend sees this and insists that he go up too. Legend has shown to be a little nervous with high places, and only starting to really enjoy slides, but he is adamant. I don't yet realize how bad of an idea this is.

Cash runs up to the slide and immediately plunges down it, happy as can be. Legend slowly approaches the slide. Many children pass him as he inches. He gets to the the slide, looks down, and says, "Uh-unh. No." He shakes his head, waves his hand, and calls, "down?" He won't come back over to me, where I can lift him down. He is stuck.

Cash is already asking to be lifted up to go down the big slide again.

I lift him up and say, "Help Legend go down the slide, Cash."
Cash - "Ok. I help Legend."

Cash runs past Legend and yells, "Legend, down slide! Come on!" He is gone again down the twisty slide, and back to my side before Legend can even yell out another, "No!"

Me - "Cash, please hold Legend's hand and bring him to me."
Cash - "Ok Auntie. I help Legend."

Cash runs past Legend, vaguely reaching for his hand on his way by. Okay, plan B.

I awkwardly climb up the narrow made-for-little-people ladder, duck onto the platform, and bring Legend over to the slide.

Problem: the slide is a closed tube, too short for me to sit and hold Legend to slide down. The platform is too high to ease him down to the ground. I am no where near dexterous or strong enough to carry him down the little ladder. How do I get my kid down?

I pretend I am going to ride down the slide with him on my lap, which he is okay with.

Then I push him down the slide.

Don' worry; he lived, but he bee-lined it to the other side of the playground as soon as his feet touched the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment