Sunday 25 September 2011

Ferris Wheel

Legend and I are at the fair, and Legend keeps pointing to the Ferris Wheel. He looks at me, pointing, smiles and nods, like he does to ask if he is allowed to do something. Preface: Legend gets scared on top of slides because it is too high up and I am not too keen on heights either; I do not think this is a very good idea.

I distract Legend with the train ride, which he loves; the Merry-go-Round, which he loves for the first few laps then wants off (I think he got too dizzy); and the Monster Truck ride, which gets him in touch with his manly side.

He points, smiles and nods at the Ferris Wheel again. So, I ask the man running it whether he will stop it if Legend panics and he says yes, so we get in line. Legend is really excited; the last time I went on the Ferris wheel, I was the one asking to get off after one round.

We get on and wait. And wait. We were the first on and this ride takes a long time to fill. Legend happily talks about all the things below, the rides we just went on and other kids. He seems happy even though we are so high up, when suddenly we swoop around and up. The ride stops just as suddenly and our seat rocks.

I catch my breath, and try to swallow a little leap of fear. Legend hears me, and looks at me with wide eyes. Why is mommy afraid? Should I be afraid?


I swallow, and smile, and point out the car ride below. I just about blew it there, but he relaxes when he sees I am not scared anymore. Little does he know, that I actually am a little scared, more so because he is with me. It is not just my life in the hands of a hung over attendant and a rusty old ride.

But I hear fear is learned, so I just keep smiling. Legend enjoys his ride, but thankfully does not ask to go a second time. When we get off he starts dancing to the ride music and pointing at something else. I am shaking, just a little. I am such a wimp.

No comments:

Post a Comment