Wednesday 22 February 2012

Not Her Forte

Kayla is very good at many things. She has an amazing vocabulary and sentence structure for her age, well above average. She can count, sing the alphabet, and name any colour.

She is atrocious at doing puzzles.


Legend and Kayla decide they want to do the big dinosaur floor puzzle together. We dump it out, circle around, and Legend sets to work, needing only the occasional suggestion to keep him on track; this is what he is good at.

Kayla picks up a puzzle piece and stares at the mess of pieces in front of her.
Me, handing her a piece that fits in an open spot directly in front of her - "Try this piece."

She holds that piece blankly for a while.
Me, pointing to the correct spot - "Try putting it there, Kayla."

She holds the piece close to the right spot, but does not ever actually put it in.
Kayla - "I can't do it."
Me - "Yes you can. I will help you."

I show her exactly how to put the piece in and hand it back to her.
She starts turning it the wrong way.

I show her again.
She puts it roughly on the right spot but can't make it fit.

I hold the back of piece behind her hands and try to guide the piece into the right spot. This is more difficult than it sounds because she actually resists me a little.

I finally put the piece in the right spot, with her fingers barely touching it.
Kayla, proudly - "I did it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment