Wednesday 16 November 2011

A Series of Unfortunate Events

None of what you are about to read is funny at all.

The boys know it is a play group day. They have asked six times about it, and also about where Kayla is. I have no idea where Kayla is. She and her mom are so late I start to think that I got mixed up about the schedule and maybe they are not coming. I text Kayla's mom and get the boys and our bags all ready to go in the mean time.

I get an inconclusive text from Kayla's mom about not having very good cell service, but she doesn't answer my question about when to expect Kayla. I decide to get the boys in the car anyway.

I finally get a text saying she will meet us at play group, but we are already 15 minutes late. We head out.

After about 3 minutes of playing nicely, Legend pushes a little boy off of the play structure because he is in his way. Legend gets an immediate time-out. 

I turn around from having a talking-to with Legend, to find Cash with a suspicious smile.

Cash - "Poop."
Me - "You have to go potty? Let's go quick."
He turns around to head to the bathroom and I see that we are already too late. 

Legend is in time-out for about ten minutes because it takes a while to clean up Cash. Surprisingly, Legend stays in the time-out chair the whole time. He is very apologetic when I finally get back to him. 

Legend - "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Mommy. Sorry. Play now?"
I swallow my guilt to try to keep consistent - "Legend, remember no pushing. Be gentle."
Legend - "Sorry. Sorry. Sorry."
He immediately goes and rips a toy out of another child's hands.

This is just the beginning to the day.

I think, just like how dogs can smell fear, tots can smell stress. They see an advantage in the game and they take it. 

First one to lose their cool loses the game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment