Thursday 15 March 2012

Lizard

We found a very tiny lizard toy at the park the other day. It has become a prized possession in this house, when it is discovered among all the toys.

Legend is playing with the little lizard at the table but drops it and can't see it.
Legend, a bit frantic - "Lizard! Lizard!"
Cash - "Where is the lizard, Auntie Kate?"
Me - "I don't know. I don't see it either."
Legend, more frantic, verging on tears; it is nearing nap time - "LIZARD!"

Cash - "Did Legend eat the lizard, Auntie Kate?"
Me - "Ha. No. He didn't eat it."
Legend, suddenly grinning - "I eat it! I eat it!"
He opens his mouth to show me it is empty, proof that he has swallowed the lizard.

Me - "Legend, you didn't eat it. You dropped it. Let's find it."
Cash - "Oh no! Legend can't eat the lizard! Oh no!"
Legend is nodding mischievously with his mouth still open - "I eat the lizard."

I finally find the toy lizard and hand it back to Legend.
Cash - "Phew! Legend didn't eat it. Phew! That was close."
Legend holds the toy up in front of his open mouth and looks at me to see if I will allow him to eat it.

This is a strange kind of stubborn.

No comments:

Post a Comment