Wednesday 14 March 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen

It is time for a Teddy Bear Tea Party! I have a nice table cloth spread out on the floor, a plate of delicious snacks, and a fine Chine tea set with orange juice all prepared. I set the kids' special teddy bears around the table cloth so that they can join us. The kids watch me, bouncing and pointing, with far too much energy. I do not foresee this ending well, but it is worth a try.

Before I allow them anywhere near the lovely display, I give them the rules.
Me - "Okay everyone, come gather around Auntie. Come to Mommy."
"Look at me. Look at me. I want to see your eyes. Look at me." I finally get their attention.
"We are going to have a picnic with our teddy bears. We must be very calm and gentle." I speak in a low, gentle voice and move slowly.
"Look at me....We must be very careful with the cups. They are very special. Don't drop them. Be very gentle." They nod gravely.
"I want you to sit on your bum beside your bear and be very calm and gentle. Okay?"
They nod very seriously and are now calm and quiet.

Then, to my surprise, we sit and have a lovely time.
I was honestly expecting chaos, broken china, and spilled snack and juice.

Cash - "I would like more juice please, Auntie."

Legend - "Thank you very much, Mommy."

Kayla - "Bear, do you want some pickle too? Here you go."

What happened to my Sharp Tooth dinosaurs of five minutes ago?

No comments:

Post a Comment