Thursday 30 August 2012

Shy

Legend had his first day of preschool today. I made a very big deal out of it. Nice new outfit and hat, lunch kit, back pack, and lots of photos. We have been talking about how to behave there and how to make friends for a few weeks now.

Me - "Legend, how are you going to be at preschool? Are you going to be....mean?"
Legend smiles - "No. I'm going to be gentle, kind, quiet, and happy. No roaring at friends."
Me - "That's right! And how will you make friends?"
Legend - "Hi! I'm Legend. Want to play with me?"
Me - "Perfect! You're ready for preschool!"
A little bit of social coaching never hurts.

We finally get in the car this morning, with plenty of anticipation.
Legend grows very quiet in the back seat.
Me - "What's wrong, Legend?"
Legend - "I'm too shy for preschool. I'm too shy."
Me - "Really? I don't think you've ever been shy in your life."
Legend mumbles - "I am too shy."
Me - "Oh. Well, Mommy will be there the whole time today, and Cash, and Kayla too. You are going to have a great time. Don't worry."
Legend - "I'm so shy."

He quietly insists that he is "too shy" the entire 10 minute drive there.

As soon as we pull into the parking lot...
"Mommy! I'm not shy anymore!"

He got over that quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment