Tuesday 23 August 2011

Potty Training - 1st attempt with Kayla

I bought a potty that makes music if the tot successfully uses it. I tried to find a Drink-and-Wet doll to do the Dr. Phil recommended method, but they are out of vogue in Canada and I couldn't find one decently priced. So, I went with the recommendations of other moms, and used a regular baby doll and a squeeze bottle held behind its back. Kayla is ready. 

I help Kayla pretend to give baby doll a drink. She loves babies and has a new one, so this is a good start. Then I act surprised and say, "Baby has to pee. Let's go to the potty!" We run to the potty and put the doll on the potty. I then squeeze water from behind the doll into the potty to make the music go and we cheer. "Yay, baby peed on the potty!" 

We go through this 4 times. Kayla thinks it is great fun and dances when the music plays. 

On the fourth go, I ask Kayla, "Can Kayla pee on the potty too?"
Kayla - "Pee on the potty!"
So I get her on the potty and she just sits there for a moment, looking expectantly at me, and I at her. 
Me - "Pee on the potty Kayla. Just like baby."
Kayla - "Auntie pour water. Music." 

Apparently my slight of hand was not so slight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment