Sunday 9 June 2013

Civic Duty

The arrival of the mail is a big event in my house. When it is pushed through the slot and the kids hear the clack, they race to retrieve it for me.

Cash gets their first this time and Kayla and Legend pout for a moment then continue their play.

Cash hands me the mail.
Me - "Thanks Cash. Oh, my voting card. I guess I need to vote soon."
Cash - "What's vote?"
Me - "Blah blah...voting... country... Canada...blah blah... duty... government...provinces...leaders...blach blah blah."  (Instilling patriotic values and stuff, I'm sure.)
Cash hold up a flyer - "Yeah, well, there is a truck on this one."
Me - "So there is."

...

Me - "When Daddy gets home, we'll all walk down and vote."
Legend - "What's a vote?"
Me - "Blah blah...voting... country... Canada...blah blah... duty... government...provinces...leaders...blach blah blah." A simplified version from my conversation with Cash earlier. Let's try this again.
Legend - "Okay we vote."

Daddy walks in the door.
Legend races up to him - "Daddy! Mommy says we are going on a boat! Can we go swimming off the boat with Grandpa?"
Me - "AH! No. Vote! Vote!"
Legend - "Boat?"
Daddy - "Vote. Blah blah...voting... country... Canada...blah blah... duty... government...provinces...leaders...blach blah blah. And then we might get some supper after."
Legend - "Please we go to McDonalds after we go to the boat?"

No comments:

Post a Comment